Company Description & Purpose
Allonnia’s purpose is the pursuit of imaginative solutions to solve the world’s toughest waste challenges through biology. Allonnia is leveraging the power of biotechnology and engineered systems to degrade or sequester pollutants and upcycle waste. Our ethos at Allonnia is to work in harmony with nature, combining biology and technology to fast forward time and bring Nature’s future solutions to the present day. Through this collaboration we will unlock the potential in waste and enable a world where nothing is wasted. Allonnia is backed by Battelle, Ginkgo Bioworks, Viking Global, General Atlantic, EVOK and Cascade Investments.
Mission of the Position
Allonnia is seeking a talented and highly motivated Database Engineer to play a pivotal role in managing and optimizing our database infrastructure for environmental microbiology data. As a Database Engineer, you will be responsible for furthering database design, architecture maintenance, data modeling, security, data migration, quality assurance, and anomaly detection. Your expertise will ensure the integrity, performance, and security of our database, and supporting Allonnia's ongoing mission to advance environmental solutions.
- A Bachelor's or Master's degree in a relevant field, such as Database Engineering, Computer Science, or a related discipline.
- Proven experience in database design, administration, and maintenance, particularly with complex data structures.
- Proficient in data modeling and adept at crafting efficient database schemas
- Skilled in working with both SQL and NoSQL databases, data lakes, and data warehouses.
- Competent in cloud computing, with a preference for expertise in AWS services
- Strong knowledge of database security practices, access control, and administration.
- Experience in ETL processes and data migration.
- Proficiency in data quality assurance and anomaly detection techniques.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to work collaboratively with multidisciplinary teams.
- Familiarity with environmental microbiology data and its unique requirements is a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills capable of communicating with a variety of different team perspectives
Responsibilities & Measurable Accountabilities
Database Design and Architecture Maintenance and Fine Tuning
- Maintain and enhance the database infrastructure to meet Allonnia's evolving data needs, with a focus on scalability, performance, and data integrity.
- Manage database schemas, tables, indexes, storage, backup procedures, stored procedures, SQL queries, and data preprocessing, retrieval, and manipulation.
- Create data models that efficiently serve Allonnia's Squadrons, enabling effective data storage and retrieval.
Data Security and Access Control and Administration
- Implement robust security measures, including user authentication, authorization, and encryption, to safeguard sensitive data.
- Enforce access control policies to ensure data is accessible only to authorized users.
- Provide education and guidance on best practices for database usage.
- Serve as the administrator of the database, ensuring compliance with data governance policies, maintaining up-to-date database documentation, and facilitating effective communication across teams.
Data Migration and ETL (Extract, Transform, Load) Processes
- Develop and maintain ETL processes to efficiently move data between different systems, transform data into the desired format, and load it into the database.
- Plan and execute data migrations during transitions between database systems or system upgrades.
- Collaborate with the teams to establish best practices for structuring data and templates.
Data Quality Assurance and Anomaly Detection
- Implement data validation and quality control procedures to ensure the accuracy and consistency of data stored in the database.
- Monitor the health of the database, diagnose and resolve database-related issues, and proactively implement monitoring solutions.
Allonnia Core Values
Committing to work on the right things as individuals and as a company, making a difference every day
Working with passion and curiosity to learn every day, creatively delivering results to the world
Fostering a high trust environment that embraces constructive debate, achieving success together
- Analysis Skills
- Team Player
- Communications – Oral
- Communications – Written