Scientist - Environmental Mycologist/ Microbiologist
Scientist – Environmental Mycologist/Microbiologist
Mission of the Position
Your role will be to: grow and test various fungi and bacteria; test the capability of environmental microbes to degrade / detoxify various environmental contaminants in support of developing commercial products; use environmental microbes to valorize waste and develop molecular biology tools to support protein engineering/expression based projects. This is a full-time position that requires 85% time in the lab and 15% time for project management, data analysis, and reporting.
Company Description & Purpose
Allonnia is a newly launched technology company focused on using biology to unlock the potential in waste. Allonnia is backed by Battelle, Ginkgo Bioworks, Viking Global, General Atlantic, Evok, and Cascade Investments. Allonnia is finding new answers to the growing challenge of waste remediation and upcycling enabled by Ginkgo Bioworks’ advanced synthetic biology capabilities.
Allonnia’s purpose is to create transformative solutions for a waste-free world through leveraging the power of biotechnology and engineering systems that degrade pollutants and upcycle waste.
- PhD in microbiology or environmental engineering or master’s with equivalent experience
- Minimum 5 years of experience in microbiology (working with environmental microbes and consortium)
- Experience managing projects to success
- Bioinformatics experience a plus
- Willing to spend 70%+ of the time in the lab
- Strong project management skills
- Boston-based or willing to relocate
- Good communication skills: ability to simplify the complex; ability to translate technical concepts into simple terms
- Willing to challenge others/critical thinking
- Experience scanning new technologies using patent tools and leveraging a network in the environmental microbiology community
Responsibilities & Measurable Accountabilities
• Collaboratively design scope of technical projects using experimental design principles
• Develop cadence and clear communication of progress on experiments
• Manage 2-3 laboratory projects at the same time
• Achieving 80%+ of key milestones on time and on budget or go/no go decision
• Collaborate with cross-functional teams on projects including bioinformatics and analytical characterization.
• Embrace transparency; communicate early and often even for bad news
• Consistent and clear communication to Allonnia technical team
• Demonstrate good written communication skills for findings and reports
• Gather and prepare samples biological/chemical for laboratory analysis
• Maintain records of executed work and activities as outlined per Standard Operating Procedures and support QA, QC, and regulatory requirements.
• Perform maintenance on laboratory equipment including setup, cleaning, and appropriate care of equipment.
Allonnia Core Values
Committing to work on the right things as individuals and
as a company, making a difference every day
Working with passion and curiosity to learn every day, creatively
delivering results to the world
Fostering a high trust environment that embraces constructive
debate, achieving success together
- Analysis Skills
- Team Player
- Communications – Oral
- Communications – Written