Director of Engineering
Mission of the Position
The Director of Engineering for Allonnia will have a passion for designing and implementing engineering solutions that lead to net positive environmental impact in applications such as water treatment, site remediation, and mining.
This critical leadership position will assume oversight of a small R&D team of engineers. In partnership with the commercial team, the Engineering Director will be responsible for executing New Product Development (NPD) projects/initiatives, including new product R&D and innovation.
The successful candidate will be a problem solver, an innovator, and a leader, and will have a demonstrated record of action, drive, and passion for leading and developing teams. The Director of Engineering will serve as a partner to the other members of the R&D Leadership Team and will have input into the technical decision-making process on numerous core development projects.
- Overall responsibility to ensure successful field deployment of Allonnia solutions in water treatment, site remediation, mining process innovations etc.
- Executes engineering processes ensuring that quality products are delivered on-time and cost-competitive in the marketplace.
- Liaises with key stakeholders to provide professional support and advice regarding product development and the application design for product launches.
- Oversees coordination with contractors and subcontractors to ensure field deployment is being handled in a safe and effective manner, consistent with the terms of the contract.
- Assumes direct engineering duties, as needed, especially for strategic and/or key customers.
- Conducts techno-economic analysis and feasibility studies of proposed products
- Works with individual team members to provide feedback and development for each member of the team. Responsible for hiring team members, managing team performance, assessing current staff, assigning, and prioritizing work, etc.
- Supports and projects the core values and mission of Allonnia both internally and externally.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of technical development and trends in the field of expertise
- Monitors KPIs for Allonnia’s key engineering processes and strives for improvements and efficiencies in the Engineering team.
- Master’s degree in engineering required, with a focus in chemical, mechanical, or environmental engineering. Ph.D. preferred.
- Minimum 7 years of engineering technical experience with increasing scope and responsibilities, including product design, testing/analysis, engineering documentation, and innovative technology development.
- Familiarity with engineering design software.
- 5 or more years of experience successfully leading a team of engineering professionals.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively across departments to develop strategies and plans that meet objectives.
- Demonstrated success in building client/customer relationships to achieve commercial success.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and situational awareness, with the ability to exert influence and rally a team effectively.
- Active thought leader in their technical field of expertise through research, presentations, authoring of papers, etc.
- Passionate about the startup environment, and able to work from ground zero to help develop the team and grow junior people.
- Awareness of one’s own strengths and weaknesses, knowing when and where to get assistance when needed. Low ego with a growth mindset.
- Ability to gauge each team member’s strengths and weaknesses and know how to get the best out of each person in the team.